KB - a better class of pervert

News:

World Cup 2018!

MissBarbara · 1084

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3173/-41
on: June 13, 2018, 03:06:23 PM

The 2018 World Cup begins in about two hours (11:00 am EDT).

The World Cup is, by far and away, the most-watched sporting event on the planet. The last World Cup, in Brazil in 2014, had a total viewership of around 3.2 billion, and the 2014 Final was watched by over 1.2 billion people worldwide. To put that into perspective, the 2018 Super Bowl was watched by about 103 million people worldwide.

This year the World Cup is being played in Russia. This proves a challenge to U.S. TV viewers, since the large time difference means that matches will be aired live in the U.S. very early (some matches air at 6:00 am).

The U.S. team failed to qualify for the tournament.

The favorites to win it all are Brazil, Germany, and France, with Argentina, Belgium, and Spain also considered serious contenders.

In related news, FIFA announced this morning that a combined bid by Canada, U.S., and Mexico has been chosen to host the 2026 World Cup. This is the first time the event will be hosted in several countries, and at the 2026 World Cup, the field will expand from 32 teams to 48 teams.

In the U.S., World Cup matches will air on FOX and FOX Sports One.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1803/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:52:06 PM
This is so cool.

I've only recently (last couple of years) been enjoying soccer because of a friend's son who played on a high school team.  I learn a little bit each game I watch.   My fiancees daughter plays soccer and have enjoyed watching her play this spring.

I hope to get to watch some of the matches of the world cup.

Thank you for sharing MissB.

But who do I root for?   Hmm, can't even root for Italy where I'll be in 8 days.

The World Cup in the US in 2026?   Bucket list addition.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +392/-9
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 03:54:19 PM
According to CNN.....
The United States is going to host the 2026 World Cup....
(Please don't let it be in New Jersey..!!!).......
 ;D

Love,
Liz

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:56:20 PM
I'm rooting for Costa Rica!

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:41:07 PM

According to CNN.....
The United States is going to host the 2026 World Cup....
(Please don't let it be in New Jersey..!!!).......
 ;D

Love,
Liz

Though hosting duties will be shared between Canada, Mexico, and the U.S., there's a relatively high likelihood that at least some matches will be played in New Jersey.

When the U.S. hosted the World Cup in 1994, several matches were played in Giants Stadium, just across the Hudson River from NYC. The current stadium on that site holds about 85,000 people, and draws from a greater metropolitan area with over 21 million people.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:24:07 PM
With the U.S. not qualifying, my cheering will be based on my late wife being from Poland and the girl I’m seeing being from Peru.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 06:49:19 PM

With the U.S. not qualifying, my cheering will be based on my late wife being from Poland and the girl I’m seeing being from Peru.

Actually, those are both great teams to watch.

Paulo Guerrero of Peru and Robert Lewandowski of Poland are both always very exciting players to watch, and many observers who know what they're talking about have picked both Peru and Poland as potential spoilers, two of the "surprise teams" of this World Cup.

Have fun!

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 07:19:08 PM

Paulo Guerrero of Peru and Robert Lewandowski of Poland are both always very exciting players to watch, and many observers who know what they're talking about have picked both Peru and Poland as potential spoilers, two of the "surprise teams" of this World Cup.

Have fun!

I was at a Peruvian food festival a week and a half ago with the girl I’m seeing.  I swear every other person seemed to be wearing a #9 Guerrero shirt.  There was some sort of pre-cup game going on with Peru playing, and the festival crowd erupted a couple times with cheers when Peru scored.  The excitement was contagious.  The food was excellent too.

I’ve heard of the Polish player too.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:02:24 PM

Have fun!

Wow.  I want to come watch some games with you.  You seem to know your stuff.  You could definitely teach me a thing or two. 

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 04:47:24 PM

Have fun!

Wow.  I want to come watch some games with you.  You seem to know your stuff.  You could definitely teach me a thing or two. 

Well, I'd like to watch anything with you. I'd even love to watch a blank TV screen with you. But that's a story for another thread...

Meanwhile, before you start extolling my knowledge and insight, note that I made a huge, glaring mistake in my OP: The tournament didn't start yesterday, it starts today.

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-53
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 01:44:23 AM

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 02:12:48 PM
How well do you know the World Cup countries? Take our nesting doll quiz.

#Resist

EEEK
14 of 32.
I started off great (got the first one) ;)
Puttered along on the next 20 getting just 2 correct.
But then, by process of elimination with the previous ones I missed, finished with 11 straight.
I should have studied Miss B's chart up above a little prior to taking the quiz and I might have been able to squeeze out a couple more.

Version 9.15
POY 2016

wayne3218

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 02:24:09 PM
Going for Australia and it will depend on the first match against France.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 03:41:32 PM
Russia creamed Saudi Arabia in the opening game, so Trump’s happy (or relieved).

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 11:03:48 PM

Thus far (late Saturday afternoon) the World Cup has lived up to its hype. And perhaps even more so.

At the risk of turning this thread into MissBarbara's World Cup DiaryTM:

Yesterday we had the day off for Eid, so I was able to watch all three matches, all of which were exciting, and all of which were decided by one goal or less. The Spain v. Portugal match, which ended in a 3-3 "victory" for Portugal, was one of the most exciting matches I've watched in a long time.

I strongly dislike Cristiano Ronaldo, and I always have. I think he’s a preening prima donna, and I find his aggressive self-centeredness to be extremely annoying. But he scored a goal yesterday to tie the match from a free kick that was one of the most spectacularly brilliant free kick goals I've ever seen.

Today I got up before the crack of dawn to watch France vs. Australia, and then watched Iceland vs. Argentina, an extremely exciting match. And I just finished watching Nigeria vs. Croatia, which had to potential to be a great match but, in the end, was a bit of a letdown. Nigeria normally plays with style, grace, and panache, while Croatia plays with an almost machine-like workmanship. Nigeria came out very flat, and remained that way for 90 minutes, while the Croatian machine scored two goals for the victory.

Tomorrow features two great matches: Germany vs. Mexico at 11:00 am, and Brazil vs. Switzerland at 2:00 pm. Germany and Brazil are the two favorites to win the World Cup, and they'll be playing their first matches. It should be exciting!

_priapism

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 11:44:02 PM
I was in Amsterdam the night Spain beat Netherlands to win the 2010 World Cup.  It was a spectacle.  Streets were a sea of orange.  And being Dutch, everyone was remarkably well behaved.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 07:13:28 PM
I watched the Peru vs Denmark game on my couch with the Peruvian woman I’m seeing.  She was very unhappy at the loss.  I made her a nice dinner later and took her home in the evening.

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 08:15:24 PM

The diner we went to breakfast to on Fathers Day had the Mexico vs Germany game on.   Normally the diner is quiet, but there were many patrons and wait staff that we very excited about the game.  We stuck around until the finish and there was a bit of a celebration when Mexico proved victorious.   It was a fun atmosphere.   Did someone say something about an earthquake due to a goal in the game?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/world/americas/mexico-soccer-world-cup.html

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1728/-3
Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:14 PM

Thus far (late Saturday afternoon) the World Cup has lived up to its hype. And perhaps even more so.

Yesterday we had the day off for Eid, so I was able to watch all three matches, all of which were exciting, and all of which were decided by one goal or less. The Spain v. Portugal match, which ended in a 3-3 "victory" for Portugal, was one of the most exciting matches I've watched in a long time.

I strongly dislike Cristiano Ronaldo, and I always have. I think he’s a preening prima donna, and I find his aggressive self-centeredness to be extremely annoying. But he scored a goal yesterday to tie the match from a free kick that was one of the most spectacularly brilliant free kick goals I've ever seen.

Today I got up before the crack of dawn to watch France vs. Australia, and then watched Iceland vs. Argentina, an extremely exciting match. And I just finished watching Nigeria vs. Croatia, which had to potential to be a great match but, in the end, was a bit of a letdown. Nigeria normally plays with style, grace, and panache, while Croatia plays with an almost machine-like workmanship. Nigeria came out very flat, and remained that way for 90 minutes, while the Croatian machine scored two goals for the victory.

Tomorrow features two great matches: Germany vs. Mexico at 11:00 am, and Brazil vs. Switzerland at 2:00 pm. Germany and Brazil are the two favorites to win the World Cup, and they'll be playing their first matches. It should be exciting!

It's a pity I didn't see this thread at the time.  I would have enjoyed MissBarbara's World Cup DiaryTM.  What are your thoughts on the rest of the tournament.

I agree with your remarks about CR.  Every time he scores, which is very frequently, he turns to see where the steady-cam operator is so he can give the viewers an extra special preen.  He's in trouble now though, if you have read the recent news.

Do you know why FIFA decided to split the hosts for 2026 (I don't)?

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:07 PM

It's a pity I didn't see this thread at the time.  I would have enjoyed MissBarbara's World Cup DiaryTM.  What are your thoughts on the rest of the tournament.

I agree with your remarks about CR.  Every time he scores, which is very frequently, he turns to see where the steady-cam operator is so he can give the viewers an extra special preen.  He's in trouble now though, if you have read the recent news.

Do you know why FIFA decided to split the hosts for 2026 (I don't)?

As you can see, I didn't persevere in writing MissBarbara's World Cup DiaryTM past the first match day.

And it's worth noting, in retrospect that Germany and Brazil both went down in flames.

But I watched many, many matches. I tend to root for the underdog (though within reason), so I was excited to see sides like Croatia, Sweden and Uruguay advance as far as they did, and I rooted heavily for Mexico (though perhaps as a surrogate for our failed national side).