KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Why kids should go to a real school

Katiebee · 2494

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
on: August 12, 2013, 07:31:46 PM
I'm being catty, but it's just too good a pic to pass up. An oxymoron of the first degree.

I posted it here instead of funny pictures because if the potential political debate.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

snowm

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:21:34 PM
oh geez that's funny.:)

I have no issue with home schooling except for the lack of social development. As long as the kid is in something else besides the house, a youth sport for instance, I have no beef.

coacheric

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:23:18 PM
I agree with the social development issues with home school. Seen it with a friends daughter. There were some major disconnect issues when she went to public school. The good thing is that it did not last long in their case. She was over it within a few days. Also was pretty young, Just first grade for the transition into public school
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:25:21 PM by coacheric »

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +392/-9
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:15:47 PM
Social development is the biggest problem for home schooling.
Not to mention school sports, and all the activities in between.

A few years ago a situation occurred in New Jersey with a public school and a home schooled student (while the student in question was very smart and her grades showed it). The school took the stance that she was not a student "in" the system, therefore she was not allowed to attend the school prom in High School. Their reasoning was simple, she was and would be an unknown to the student body having never attend any classes in the school. (her social circle was only the few friends she had in the neighborhood). The home schooling isolated her from the general student body.

Love,
Liz

coacheric

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:31:06 PM
Social development is the biggest problem for home schooling.
Not to mention school sports, and all the activities in between.

A few years ago a situation occurred in New Jersey with a public school and a home schooled student (while the student in question was very smart and her grades showed it). The school took the stance that she was not a student "in" the system, therefore she was not allowed to attend the school prom in High School. Their reasoning was simple, she was and would be an unknown to the student body having never attend any classes in the school. (her social circle was only the few friends she had in the neighborhood). The home schooling isolated her from the general student body.

Love,
Liz

And I see no issue with that decision from the school. She really is not a student and therefore should not be allowed to attend unless as a guest from one of the  student body.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:41:30 AM by Grm »

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +73/-0
  • Mulder, they've been here for a long, long time.
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:14:01 PM
Just a couple things, frequently home schoolers have a support network. they can participate in group functions with other homeschoolers. The area I live in has a group of about 20 that meet once a week, and participate in labs, and gym class activities.

These networks will also pool the talents of the parents, and some parents will do class lessons at a shared facility or a community center. So, if there is physics major as a parent, they can teach a class of homeschoolers. If there is a carpenter, you can have shop class.

Concerning extra curricular activities, the parents are still paying taxes, and there are many cases where homeschoolers can participate in high school sports. There was a successful NFL player the was home schooled, though his names escapes me. Played DE for the dolphins, and was an allstar.

Concerning socialization, public schools can be a negative. Many homeschoolers will be cultured shocked at college, but do adjust over time.

I also feel that schools and those people who set up curriculum's and standards should take the trend, and take the current public education system to task to improve public education, because right now it sucks, and homeschoolers are excelling.

snowm

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:14:42 AM
I would rather my children deal with culture shock at high school instead of at the college level.

My intent is to not make fun of home schooled children here but I think getting more of the same together and calling it appropriate socialization is like getting a couple of mathlete teams together and calling it socialization.

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:57 AM
I did not take offense to the sign. I think the parent made the sign, not the school kid.

;D

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 03:22:51 AM
Precisely LFK, who is qualified to teach here? The parent?

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 03:37:37 AM
Way more dynamic than the parents raw intelligence. Education is product of environment, initiative, experience, and resources. I am sure there is more to it what I listed.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03:51 AM
Not talking about intelligence. I'm talking about competence. There is a vast difference between the two.

snowm

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 06:20:43 AM
If as a society we are not prepared to determine if/when someone is competent to have a child, we certainly have to keep our piehole shut about if they are competent to teach their child.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 06:51:48 AM
I disagree. Competency to teach is different from the protected "right" to procreation.

After all, any one with sperm, eggs, and a womb can create a child.

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1376/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:18:07 AM

WOO! And may I add, with no degree or permit required!

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:55 AM
The irony is that in public schools, competence is determined by an intelligence test, not a competency test. But that is not really the point.

Homeschooling is a libertarian issue, in which parents are empowering themselves, through sacrifice, to give their children a better education then government schools can support, which continue to lower standards and expectations. A major aspect of the parent's sacrifice, is to gain competancy, as well as loosing a potential second income.

I am baffled at why my second grader gets homework, and my high schooler barely gets any. I look at the second grader's homework (vocabulary) and think, why is this not being taught in school? When I went to school, elementary grades had no homework, and 7th grade on up, homework, because the repetition and required reading, and writing of essays.

Not talking about intelligence. I'm talking about competence. There is a vast difference between the two.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:16:30 PM by Lostforkate »

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1376/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 12:09:07 PM
LFK - you seem to be referring to the children (students). Katie is speaking of the competency of the adult (teacher).

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 12:35:17 PM
I am refering to what qualifies a teacher, a teacher certification test, which is an intelligence test on top of the educational requirements. I may be speaking only of New York State, which has certification tests for teaching.

And trust me, incompentant teachers pass these tests and requirements.

Anyway, with the resources, and a parent's desire to educate at home, homeschoolers are signifigantly outperforming government schooled children on standardized tests. When I look at the results, the defination of competancy becomes "having a vested interest in the student's education".

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:10 PM
Ah, now I didn't say the the education system was not broken or dysfunctional, did I? I pointed out a glaring and obvious problem that was at odds with the homeschooling system. Many homeschoolers get an adequate education. There are some whose education may be very suspect.

Janus

Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:15 PM
Ah, now I didn't say the the education system was not broken or dysfunctional, did I? I pointed out a glaring and obvious problem that was at odds with the homeschooling system. Many homeschoolers get an adequate education. There are some whose education may be very suspect.

That response could be completely turned around also.... The reason that many folks are turning to home schooling is because government education has become very suspect. There is no longer any competition for our children to measure themselves.

Hmmmmm....   Was this not brought up some months ago in another education based thread?

snowm

Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 03:20:28 PM
I disagree. Competency to teach is different from the protected "right" to procreation.

You misread what I said....competency to teach one's own child, not teach others. We were talking about home schooling.

I wonder, is the right to procreate the same as the right to be a parent?