KB - a better class of pervert

News:

A different kind of abortion question

m4mpetcock · 4299

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +26/-15
on: July 08, 2013, 03:11:07 AM
OK, this really is an honest question, and not meant to troll (whether you choose to believe it or not.)

OK, so on the question of whether or not there is a gay gene, the jury is still out.  As a gay man who has a gay brother and a gay sister (yep, three out of 5 kids) and a gay nephew, and several gay cousins, and several gay friends who also have gay siblings, and so on and so on, I'm of the mindset that believes, just because it hasn't been found, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  

Also, I've known since I was so very young that I was attracted to males.   So that "it's a choice" claim from naysayers was never something I believed.  All those years of "playing doctor", well, there were very few female patients in my doctor's office, and I had very few female physicians (sticking to the "playing doctor" theme, that is).

So, if there IS indeed a gay gene, then it only stands to reason that eventually, someone would develop a pre-natal test for that gene.  

With that, I'm just curious as to whether someone's view on abortion would change knowing that, and you know there's bound to be, a woman or a couple would decide that they didn't want to have a gay kid.

Now, the reasons could be numerous.  For instance, a couple could have already decided, even before they married, that they only wanted to parent one child.  Well, if they want to be grandparents, that could throw a monkey wrench into their plans.  However, a pre-natal test could (trying to think of the nicest way to say this), help them decide.

Another reason could be that, depending on where they live (not just in the USA, but other countries), they could just decide that they wouldn't want to put the kid thru the hassle of growing up gay in that country.  (Hell, in some countries, a father rapes his own daughter, and somehow, SHE is the one who has shamed the family.)  So, you can see where they might feel the same thing about a gay kid.  

The reasons they choose could run the entire gamut.  But it all boils down to "choice".  

So, the ultimate question is, should it ever come to that point, is anyone comfortable with that being one of the reasons?  

Now, obviously this question is geared more toward the pro-choice gays, but I'm interested in hearing all viewpoints.  

In closing, this may not have been worded the best, but, looking at it as a whole, is there really a good way to word it?

I can resist anything but temptation.  - Oscar Wilde

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:26:53 AM
It is probable that a test of that type, if it can be developed, would not make an abortion a choice. Why? Because of bio-ethics as currently established.

This is also why there is a heavy predisposition not to allow human cloning, the tailoring of humans to a pre-defined mold.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

gomez38555

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:30:48 AM
In all honesty, (Gia, don't read this, you wont like it), I would love my child either way.  I will admit that, it may be wrong, but it would probably bother me less if my daughter was gay, rather than a son.  This is all assuming that I had another child (I WANT grand kids).

Either way, I couldn't agree to abort a child of mine.

On a side note.  There are proven differences in both hormone and brain function in many gays versus straight.  Whether these changes are a result of the mental attitude and lifestyle (I know I didn't phrase that well)  or a biological difference prior to birth is unknown.  These differences are not in ALL gay's, but do show up in a large percentage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:32:35 AM by gomez38555 »

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:32:18 AM
It is probable that a test of that type, if it can be developed, would not make an abortion a choice. Why? Because of bio-ethics as currently established.

This is also why there is a heavy predisposition not to allow human cloning, the tailoring of humans to a pre-defined mold.

But now you've just removed the choice.  "You" being the government, that is.  

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:39:37 AM
(I know I didn't phrase that well)

No need to explain.  It's not an easy topic to put to words.

But I understand what you're saying in the "all gays are not alike".  For instance, no one in my family got the "style" gene, the "interior decorating" gene, etc.  I've played sports all my life, and have never been called a queen.  On the other hand, my brother, who has never played sports, is not feminine either.  That man can swing a hammer, plumb a bathroom, and hang drywall.   And my sister, while not a lipstick lesbian, is very feminine.  On the other hand, my cousin, a male, hasn't got a masculine bone in his body.  But he's got a heart of gold and would give you the shirt off his back, after it's been pressed and creased, of course.   ;D

OK, didn't mean to get off topic.  

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +73/-0
  • Mulder, they've been here for a long, long time.
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 03:50:32 AM
Your giving too nuch credit to the genes. And numerous traits and developement come from environmental conditions. Also, there is the impact of nuerological and cognitive development from birth on, that impacts all these characteristics on how someone is "wired".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:55:59 AM by Lostforkate »

snowm

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:50:39 AM

Either way, I couldn't agree to abort a child of mine.

Did you mean in only the gay vs straight scenario or in all scenarios?

Offline Lostforkate

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +73/-0
  • Mulder, they've been here for a long, long time.
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:53:28 AM
I understand what gomez is saying. The mother of my children refused the downs syndrome tests they administer during pregnancies and I fully supported her in that decision.

snowm

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:57:50 AM
I understand what gomez is saying. The mother of my children refused the downs syndrome tests they administer during pregnancies and I fully supported her in that decision.
and that is certainly your choice. I have the fortunate/unfortunate experience of having a very pragmatic view of life and the impact that such a hardship would have on our lives, our marriage, and our existing kids. I know what you are talking about, we had the quad screen test done both times. When it got down to it, I do not know for certain we would have acted on it.

That being said there are false positives on that test too, it is a numbers game in the end.

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:59:04 AM
Your giving too nuch credit to the genes. And numerous traits and developement come from environmental conditions. Also, there is the impact of nuerological and cognitive development from birth on, that impacts all these characteristics on how someone is "wired".

Yeah, but that's not the focus of the topic.  

I'm basically saying, if there is ever a test for the gay gene, how do you feel about someone saying they don't want to raise a gay kid and, if you're pro-choice, are you OK with that choice?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:01:34 AM by m4mpetcock »

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1376/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 04:03:32 AM
In all honesty, (Gia, don't read this, you wont like it), I would love my child either way.  I will admit that, it may be wrong, but it would probably bother me less if my daughter was gay, rather than a son.

Yah - I understand that a lot of hetero men express less distaste of gay women than of gay men... somehow they find two women "hawt" & two men "icky"

...but its all just love to me.

snowm

Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 04:06:07 AM
In all honesty, (Gia, don't read this, you wont like it), I would love my child either way.  I will admit that, it may be wrong, but it would probably bother me less if my daughter was gay, rather than a son.

Yah - I understand that a lot of hetero men express less distaste of gay women than of gay men... somehow they find two women "hawt" & two men "icky"

...but its all just love to me.

two boobs are sweet, 4 is even better...

Janus

Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 05:02:23 AM
I am not an anti abortion nut, but I do not like the idea of abortion in most instances. I do not, in a million years, condone the idea that you can "opt out" of birthing a gay child. I am a pro choice supporter only because  I am a man and I have no right to tell another human being how they can live their life. But I will fight like a motherfucker to save an unborn child because they are gay, before I will ever agree to allow the "opt out" clause. Just my two cents.

Offline Enigma

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +17/-2
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:34:13 AM
When I was in the child rearing period of my life (I have been fixed) it would not have made a difference to me at all.  I have already said that abortion was never an option for me. We did no prenatal testing, ( other than what was mandatory) we did not want to know the sex of the child.  It would not have changed my mind to know a child would be gay any more than it would change my mind to know they would have blue eyes.

Being gay or lesbian is not a birth defect.  It's not a choice for most ( I do think some kids pretend at it) it's simply how a person is.

Reality is only a point of view

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 06:43:08 AM

But now you've just removed the choice.  "You" being the government, that is.  

No I did not. The choice remains. If you have a test and decide after the test then the bio-ethics are in question. The same problem exists right now for tests for downs syndrome and other defects. In some instances bio-ethics says it's ok to terminate the pregnancy, at any stage, primarily when it become evident that the fetus doesn't have viability after being delivered.

Those are rare cases.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Jem

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +11/-0
Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 09:50:13 AM
I'm basically saying, if there is ever a test for the gay gene, how do you feel about someone saying they don't want to raise a gay kid and, if you're pro-choice, are you OK with that choice?
[/quote]

Unless the child will be born fundamentally disabled, abortion is not an option, for me, that is. As far as the wee bairn being born with a gay gene, its a child and it needs to be loved and nurtured, gay or not. I don't have an issue with raising a gay child.

If someone else I know does not want to raise a gay kid, I would never condone abortion. Rather put it up for adoption to a couple that does not mind someone being gay.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:53:19 AM by Jem »

Offline Well Behaved Lady

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +535/-8
Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31:45 AM
I've always been pro choice where abortion is concerned, I feel that I am the only one who has the right to decide what I do to my body.

Circumstances will always reflect the choice made my a woman when deciding upon having an abortion. Rape, possibility of a disabled child, financial reasons, her age, her own health, both mentally & physically, the list is endless. So I can not judge and never will.

That being said my next statement contradicts the very beliefs I have on the matter.

How could anyone abort a fetus because it is gay?

Am I now saying I think abortion is wrong? Am I asking how can anyone abort a fetus because it will have blue eyes or it is going to be ugly, fat or skinny all things that are part of our genetic make up.

This once I would say I would be pro life all the way if this option of choice was ever available. 

TinyDancer

Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 01:11:48 PM
I would never abort a fetus because it was gay.  Being gay is a sexual preference and nothing more.  *sigh*  I  know this will not happen in my lifetime but I long for the day when people just accept people for what they are.

Offline Well Behaved Lady

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +535/-8
Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 02:37:52 PM
I would never abort a fetus because it was gay.  Being gay is a sexual preference and nothing more.  *sigh*  I  know this will not happen in my lifetime but I long for the day when people just accept people for what they are.

WOO that!

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +392/-9
Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:17 PM
Genetic's is an extremely difficult science.
What we know compared to what we can do is vastly different.
We "Have" the ability to pick sex (male or female).
We do not have the ability to pick (Blonde Hair & Blue Eyes, as an example).
We do know the genetic make up for "Downs Syndrome" and can test for it once your pregnant, but the ability to gene splice and modify to remove it is not available yet.
The idea that there is a gene for "gay" is only guessing at best.
The science for that is no where near available, and won't be for a long time.
(which is a good thing).
Because The Political/Religious ramification's would be tremendous on the female.
IE....Imagine being pregnant, and finding out through testing that your child will be gay.. Now imagine the church telling you (which is against their policy) to abort the "gay" baby, and to try for a normal "hetero" child (which is in the church policy).
The bigger problem is that "if" we had the testing (which we don't) with that testing we could "eliminate" the "gay" population in just about 100 years, by simply aborting what would be a "gay" baby.
BUT THANKFULLY THIS IS ALL SCIENCE FICTION RIGHT NOW.

Love,
Liz