KB - a better class of pervert

News:

NRA's answer: armed guards in schools

Lois · 16008

Offline buddyChrist

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +160/-28
Reply #80 on: December 28, 2012, 08:04:42 PM

You'd have to be a moron to believe the UK is the most violent country in the world. Just think about how stupid that sentence sounds for a second.

You are right, England is a bastion of friendliness and civility.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/7922755/England-has-worse-crime-rate-than-the-US-says-Civitas-study.html

Apparently my request was too much for you.
Um, no.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

Yes, this is from 2009, but did they miraculously turn a corner in 3 years?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:11:03 PM by buddyChrist »

Haiku:
Five syllables here,
Seven more syllables here,
Are you happy now?

Offline tangent69

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +48/-0
Reply #81 on: December 28, 2012, 08:21:26 PM
What a load of shite!

Firstly, its in the Daily Mail who wouldn't know facts if they were bitten on the arse by them.

Secondly, the source is the Conservative party who couldn't tell the truth if their lives depended on it, and always have an ulterior motive....which usually involves a get richer quick scheme for some of their rich supporters and backers.

Thirdly, reports in the media here that followed that pointed out that "violent crime" stats in this country included just about everything reported to the police, and NOT just crimes involving a weapon like other countries reported.

The Mail was criticised and accused of scaremongering and not comparing like for like statistics.

So since i compared actual like for like statistics.....9400 gun murders to 39?

And there's still total incredulity on the stance of "what's the answer to a problem with guns... I now....more guns!"

You only get one crack at this....be happy

Offline tangent69

• Deviant
Reply #82 on: December 28, 2012, 08:26:09 PM
To qualify, even grossed up for population difference, the 39 murders in Britain would be the equivalent of 195 in America

Offline buddyChrist

• Total freak
Reply #83 on: December 28, 2012, 08:26:35 PM

So since i compared actual like for like statistics.....9400 gun murders to 39?

And there's still total incredulity on the stance of "what's the answer to a problem with guns... I now....more guns!"
So, since gun murders have gone down, you are saying that all crime has gone down? Is this the case? Or, are you saying that gun crime is the only crime that people should be concerned with?

Haiku:
Five syllables here,
Are you happy now?

Offline tangent69

• Deviant
Reply #84 on: December 28, 2012, 08:34:36 PM
What??? When did i say gun crime had gone down? I was comparing the figures between the US and Britain for murders by firearm.  When did i say any of the things you said above?

Offline buddyChrist

• Total freak
Reply #85 on: December 28, 2012, 08:40:14 PM
What??? When did i say gun crime had gone down? I was comparing the figures between the US and Britain for murders by firearm.  When did i say any of the things you said above?
My apologies to that. I was in a hurry, and misread the post. My point is that even though gun violence my be down, overall violence is rampant. Enough that per capita crime is worse than in the United States. As I stated, gun could have saved about 370,000 people from violent crime, but saved over 1.5 million from crime in the United States. This 1.5 million number is what the Clinton administration agreed upon. This is not the NRA, or the GOP numbers, but from one of the most anti-gun administrations ever. Plus, just look at places that put severe restrictions on guns, and see what their crime is like, then compare it to places that make it easy, or even mandate gun ownership and see what their crime rate is like.

Haiku:
Five syllables here,
Are you happy now?

Offline tangent69

• Deviant
Reply #86 on: December 28, 2012, 08:47:07 PM
I think i also made the point that the statistics that you quoted were dodgy at best, and were widely discredited.  Take them with a huge sack full of salt, never mind pinch!

I think that most people would find the assertion that Britain is a more violent place than the US as an unbelievable one

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #87 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:01 PM
It is in some ways much more authoritarian.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline tangent69

• Deviant
Reply #88 on: December 28, 2012, 08:52:44 PM
Agreed Katie....but that's an entirely different debate :D

Offline buddyChrist

• Total freak
Reply #89 on: December 28, 2012, 09:00:33 PM
Then put up your own statistics. All I am seeing is that I am wrong, with no evidence to back it up. Showing no evidence just shows how brain-dead your statements are. Offer some proof to back your statements up.

Haiku:
Five syllables here,
Are you happy now?

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #90 on: December 28, 2012, 09:07:54 PM
This is 1408, reason, credibility, and proof are optional.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

coacheric

Reply #91 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:35 PM
Not taking side nor can I stick up for others in another country than USA but what I'm getting out of what Galaxy and Tangent are saying is that your source is about as good from their side of the pond as the National Enquirer is on our side.

And Katie gets a WOO for that insight

Offline buddyChrist

• Total freak
Reply #92 on: December 28, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
And I get that. If there is a more credible site that offers statistics that back up their claims, they just need to post them. Otherwise, 1408 aside, they come off as children screaming "NUH UH!"

Haiku:
Five syllables here,
Are you happy now?

Bexy

Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 09:24:30 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

The source for this list is still a joke, but even assuming it is all true, do you really believe these countries are all the most dangerous countries in the world to live in? Understand how brain-dead your statement was yet?

According to this list even Belgium and Luxembourg are more dangerous than the USA. Now, I'm not gonna defend my own country, 'cause I'm too damn unpatriotic, but LUXEMBOURG??? For god's sake, have you ever even BEEN to Luxembourg?? It's the size of a fucking hankerchief, people live mostly of tourism and banking there, it's like a bloody miniature version of The Sound Of Music! Violent crimes in Luxembourg??! I guess pickpocketing during the holiday season and fraud was included as a violent crime in these statistics then...

OMG, all those Belgians committing tax evasion, such violent people!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:28:22 PM by Bexy »

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #94 on: December 28, 2012, 09:24:46 PM
But Nuh Uh is the whole point of 1408.

This is the firewall, the sandbox for the rest of the site.

Politics is slightly more restrained. But not by much.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #95 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:39 PM
Bexy, that almost sounds like a Bach-handed complement to the Luxemburgers. Why do you dislike them soooo much! 

:emot_laughing:

Offline buddyChrist

• Total freak
Reply #96 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:40 PM
But Nuh Uh is the whole point of 1408.

This is the firewall, the sandbox for the rest of the site.

Politics is slightly more restrained. But not by much.

NUH UH!

poop head.

Haiku:
Five syllables here,
Are you happy now?

coacheric

Reply #97 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:56 PM
Damn, and I brought the sand toys also. For fuck sake, why am I always the last to know?

As for politics being a little more restrained.....do we need to go back a few months?
Leading up to the elections, Room 1408 looked like recess at the elementary compared to the Politics board.

Bexy

Reply #98 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:32 PM
Bexy, that almost sounds like a Bach-handed complement to the Luxemburgers. Why do you dislike them soooo much! 

:emot_laughing:

Bach-handed? ...autocorrect? LOL

Actually, Luxemburgers are quite likeable and have one of the funniest languages I've ever heard. A mixture of French, German and Dutch. Only the South Africans sound funnier.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #99 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:02 PM
Well once you get Bach you don't want anything else.

;)