KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

1408?

Guest · 696

psiberzerker

on: March 12, 2019, 05:40:32 PM
It just occurred to me that sports is one of those subjects that can cause Riots.  So, I wouldn't say that this NEEDs to be in 1408, but I think it might be worth discussing.  So that people can speak, (And Troll) more freely about sports related issues that also cross over to Riot inducing territory.  (Like the wage gap, and Race.)

So, discuss.  It might make for an interesting conversation, if nothing else.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3173/-41
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:17:47 PM

It just occurred to me that sports is one of those subjects that can cause Riots.  So, I wouldn't say that this NEEDs to be in 1408, but I think it might be worth discussing.  So that people can speak, (And Troll) more freely about sports related issues that also cross over to Riot inducing territory.  (Like the wage gap, and Race.)

So, discuss.  It might make for an interesting conversation, if nothing else.

Since you asked, I disagree.

It's up to us members -- and not the board's Mods -- to "keep" a non-1408 thread from becoming 1408ish.

The 1408 boards have their purposes, and I completely agree with the philosophy behind their creation. But I, for one, can (well, for the most part...) adjust what I say and the way that I say it based on the location of the given thread. Yet the overwhelming majority of the posts I've made on KB have been on the 1408 boards, and while it isn't my personal style to take advantage of the freedoms that the 1408 boards offer, I appreciate the fact that I can if I choose to do so.

But disagreeing with someone does not, per se, transform a non-1408 thread into 1408 thread, and that includes strongly or completely disagreeing with someone. There's nothing 1408ish in that thread you're referring to. Of course, if or anyone else you wants to have this discussion on one of the 1408 boards, in order to afford greater "freedom" in discussion, they you have my blessing.

(And I appreciate the fact that you admit the fact that you brought race into a discussion where it was neither necessary nor germane.)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:37:10 PM by MissBarbara »

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-53
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:38:12 PM
As far as I can remember, we've only had a few sport threads that ended up 1408 worthy.

Joe Paterno covering up 48 counts of child rape to protect 308 football victories
Baylor football rape scandal
Stuebenville OH rape scandal

The Donald Sterling thread got very close, as we had people claiming he had freedom of speech not to have his team taken away, when in fact it was collectively bargained he'd agreed to those rules.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

_priapism

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 06:46:51 PM
I think non-moderators should let the moderators moderate.  That’s why they are called moderators.

psiberzerker

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 06:59:47 PM
There's nothing 1408ish in that thread you're referring to.

I didn't refer to any thread.  I was saying that Sports can cause Riots.  That's arguable, but I think you can back that up.  My only criterion to support the idea that this could be moved there is basically "Any topic that can cause a Riot might be 1408 material."  While a recent discussion got me thinking about it, that really has nothing more to do with this.  I just thought it might be worth talking about.

Also, I mentioned being able to talk more Freely there, than just in Talk.  In Talk, we can't really indulge in say the Rivalries between Manchester United, and Leeds United FCs.  The Avalance, and Devils.  Tarheels, and Blue Devils, Vancouver, and anyone that beats them, or Giants vs Jets.  Just for examples.

So, it's not about being 1408 "Worthy."  I was asking if anyone would be more comfortable in another venue, where we're free to post Memes instead of having to formulate an argument, with cited sources, and so forth.  

1408 isn't Just Politics.  It's where we Can argue.  Right?  Well, if we do move there, then we Could Argue about sports, and not have to censor ourselves as much.  Is that clear now?  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:02:21 PM by psiberzerker »

Offline Athos_131

• ΘΣ, Class of '92
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +376/-53
  • How many Assholes do we got on this ship, anyhow?
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:01:42 PM
I think non-moderators should let the moderators moderate.  That’s why they are called moderators.

#Resist

#BlackLivesMatter
Arrest The Cops Who Killed Breonna Taylor

#BanTheNaziFromKB

IdleBoast

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:04:55 AM
If you want a 1408 style thread about sport, go start your thread in 1408.

If you want to talk about sport like a grown up, post in Sport.

Simples.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3173/-41
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 02:38:21 PM

As far as I can remember, we've only had a few sport threads that ended up 1408 worthy.

Joe Paterno covering up 48 counts of child rape to protect 308 football victories
Baylor football rape scandal
Stuebenville OH rape scandal

The Donald Sterling thread got very close, as we had people claiming he had freedom of speech not to have his team taken away, when in fact it was collectively bargained he'd agreed to those rules.

#Resist

Well, that Joe Paterno thread wasn't really a sports thread, it was a thread condemning child rape and those who enable child rapists.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."