KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Anyone seen a news organization around?

m4mpetcock · 1108

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +26/-15
on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:47 AM
OK, so I'm wondering where all the national reporting is on this.

It seems the TV news stations are "All Zimmerman/Martin, all the time", yet TWELVE people are dead in Chicago shootings just this past weekend.  Anyone outside of Chicago seen any coverage of this?  I mean more than a passing "Oh by the way...now back to the Zimmerman trial." from our major networks.  

Or is the reaction of the media simply "meh"?  Yes, the Trayvon Martin case IS still news.  But has anyone alerted the media that there are newsworthy events going on outside of the Sanford court house?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/161040-chicago-shootings-72-shot-12-dead-in-chiraq-over-july-4-weekend/

Chicago Shootings: 72 Shot, 12 Dead in ‘Chiraq’ Over July 4 Weekend

At least 72 people were shot in Chicago–including 12 fatally–over the July 4th holiday weekend, continuing a trend of weekend shootings in the city, according to local media reports on Monday.

No suspects have been taken into custody in the deaths of the 12 victims, reported NBC Chicago.

A 7-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl were also seriously wounded on July 4 during separate shootings, it was reported.
 (emphasis by m4m)

NBC noted that many of the dozens of shootings in Chicago, sometimes called “Chiraq” by locals, were related to gang violence.

Terry Patterson, 49, was the last person to be reported killed over the weekend, according to NBC. Patterson and the other 11 people who were killed were all males.

Another victim included an elderly woman, who was shot in the ankle.

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said that while the murders are not “acceptable,” the city’s crime and murder rate are lower overall.

Article Continues after the discussion. Vote and comment

“While to date we’ve had significantly fewer shootings and significantly fewer murders this year, there’s more work to be done and we won’t rest until everyone in Chicago enjoys the same sense of safety,” McCarthy told NBC.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that as of Saturday, 54 of the shootings already took place.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn said Sunday that he will alter a bill that ends the state’s ban on carrying concealed firearms.

“That ought to be an alarm bell to all of us that we need strong laws that protect the public safety, especially when it comes to guns,” he said on Sunday, according to Fox News. “It’s time to end the violence.”

(end of article)

Now, I watch a combination of CBS, NBC, and Fox News.  Anyone wanna ask which station is the only one I heard it on?  Yes, NBC is quoted heavily in this story.  But I didn't see anything on TV.  Lots of news about the plane crash in SF.  Not much about a city with some of the strictest gun laws having 12 people die (with a total of 72 shot).  

While I won't lay the crimes at the feet of Rahm Emanuel, I do think the media is giving him a free pass by not focusing on it.  

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:34:29 AM by m4mpetcock »

I can resist anything but temptation.  - Oscar Wilde

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +616/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:36:04 AM
No votes to be gained here, move along... youf vs. youf violence is to be expected... where is Rev. AL, marching in circles, bullhorn in hand?

Oh, forgot, he is in Sanford, FL awaiting planned activities there this week.

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:36:38 AM
Actually, in Dallas there is more reporting in the 19 hotshot firefighters who died in the yanell hills fire.

So your shootings are not that news worthy.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:42:41 AM
Actually, in Dallas there is more reporting in the 19 hotshot firefighters who died in the yanell hills fire.

So your shootings are not that news worthy.

My shootings are they?  

Yes, the Hotshots are tragic.  I won't doubt that.  I even stopped by the Mansfield Fire Dept (in MA) yesterday to express my sympathies.  I used to work for the Town as a contractor.  Firefighters consider each other family.  

So, "meh" from you, too on the shootings?  

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 03:16:17 AM
I'm not particularly interested in gang shootings in Chicago. Is there some important thing that makes Chicago Ganga vitally important to the nation?

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:00:59 AM
I'm not particularly interested in gang shootings in Chicago. Is there some important thing that makes Chicago Ganga vitally important to the nation?

Is there some important thing that makes the Trayvon Martin shooting vitally important to the nation?  

I won't quote your post, but you thought it was, at least important enough to comment on it.  

But I'm gonna leave it at that.  YOU changed the subject.  Not I. 

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +616/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:08:09 AM
Chicago... is all about "community"... roots... sets an example for the rest of us... so many famous people...

Is there some important thing that makes the Trayvon Martin shooting vitally important to the nation?  

I won't quote your post, but you thought it was, at least important enough to comment on it.  

But I'm gonna leave it at that.  YOU changed the subject.  Not I. 

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 06:26:44 AM
Chicago news, is local news. Or were you speaking of a mass murder?

If you aren't aware of what and why things make national news, I'm going to leave you in your ignorance. There isn't a conspiracy, unless you count capitalists working their markets for profit a conspiracy.

Offline m4mpetcock

• Total freak
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 11:45:08 AM
Chicago news, is local news. Or were you speaking of a mass murder?

If you aren't aware of what and why things make national news, I'm going to leave you in your ignorance. There isn't a conspiracy, unless you count capitalists working their markets for profit a conspiracy.

How many people died in the  Trayvon Martin case?  One person is not a mass murder.  Yet, I have no doubt that updates on the trial make the news in every state, including yours, on a daily basis.  THAT sounds a bit more like a conspiracy.  Paula Deen admits to using the "n" word a decade ago, and the career-murderers are out in droves.  Twelve people die in some 72 shootings in one weekend in the city where President Obama's protégé  is Mayor?   And the reaction is, "Hey, it happens.  No big deal."

Either way.  I'll survive in my ignorance (rather, your perception of my ignorance).  And just to show I'm a nice guy, I'll toss you this in case you wade too deep into denial.  

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:02:28 PM by m4mpetcock »

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:49:16 PM
Gun violence everywhere is deplorable.  There are simply too many guns on the streets.

coacheric

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:56:14 PM
Race makes the news all the time as a headline story, gun violence does not. Detroit has gun violence all the time. We had 4 killed in one gun fight last weekend yet I'm sure that didn't make headline news.

I'm not making light of the gun violence, in big cities, it's just no longer considered a national news worthy story anymore.